Sunday, May 18, 2008

Religion

Mohammad went to heaven on a horse and Jesus was born of a virgin and the state of Israel was promised to the Jews by God and the band played believe it if you like.
Sitting on the train to Munich about three weeks ago there was this guy diagonally opposite me, he had his eyes closed and he was nodding his head, while chanting some gibberish. On the seat facing him he had opened a folder with a picture of the German "pop" idol, Dieter Bohlen on the left hand page and a picture of Jesus on the right hand page. Now the guy was obviously a bit of a nutter. As I too would be if I were to tell you all that I am waiting for the gobbly-gook in the sky to come down and take us all off to the chocolate and "Weissbier" paradise.
Now, that very same day, on arriving in Munich I took myself off to the "Theatinerkirche" - big fan of Baroque and Roccoco despite my Northern European roots - and low and behold there was a wee lady under a big wooden cross with a guy stuck to it, she was playing with a set of beads and mumbling to herself. She, however, is sane, unlike the guy on the train, for hers is a collective madness and one I can begin to understand when I think about my statement on time. What, with only a couple of thousand days left, who wouldn't want to live forever? Nevertheless, I will have to opt out on this one, for while there might indeed be more things between heaven and earth than were ever dreamt of in my philosophy; people walking on water or splitting moons, I don't think so, somehow!

No comments: