Sunday, August 24, 2008

China and Environmental Pollution

Possibly, probably, CCTV will be feeding the Chinese public with pictures of their very successful olympics for the next four years at least and it remains to be seen how, if at all, the olympics might have changed China. Certainly, one restraint on the country's development has been removed; the factories in and around Beijing will have to catch up with missed production and it might be literally full steam ahead for unrestricted growth and a return at least to the pre-olympic smog levels that beset the capital and some three weeks or so after leaving China my bronchaitis is still clearing up.
The trip to Salzburg didn't materialise because of the amount of traffic on the "Autobahn" and instead it was off to Bad Tolz, Weilheim, Ammersee and back home and it was in Bad Tolz that I coughed up a lot of the rubbish that had been lying around in my chest since China. A process that began in Uxbridge in England was accelerated in deepest Upper Bavaria and a part of the world where you really feel that you are breathing in the cleanest of air. There are a lot of things pulling on me to return to China and to cultivate a more sincere interest in the place when I do. However, one thing that is restraining me is the quality of the air there and at no time have I been more conscious of this than I was today in Bad Tolz.
The Picture was taken in Bad Tolz today.

No comments: