Thursday, June 25, 2009

'Voltaire and Rousseau'

It was always a little gem of a bookshop, or that is how I remembered it! Mind you, a way back then I was young and dynamic and I wouldn't mind ploughing through mountains of books to find what I was looking for and, although I never found what I was looking for to the best of my knowledge, I would always find something worth reading while sieving, scouring and searching. However, as I suggested in yesterday's post, it might be that I am becoming a little bit more discerning, a little bit more selective and there was me going into 'Voltaire and Rousseau' at 12 Otago Lane, Glasgow G12, not too far from Kelvinbridge and not too far from the university, looking for "specific" books. Of course, the guy at the desk couldn't help me and how could he when there appears to be no cataloguing system, only chaos and if this is a reflection of the Scottish mind, then maybe I was wrong to place that mindset not quite as methodical, logical, as the Germans, but not quite as chaotic, illogical, as the Spaniards or Italians. No, while it is our own particular blend of the rational and irrational that keeps us on the path of Queen Reason, the chaos at 'Voltaire and Rosseau' is reminiscent of downtown Calcutta at rush hour. Back home, or something like that, and Glasgow is going to be at least intriguing.
The picture was taken at the politics section in a great bookshop where you cannot find the book you are looking for, although I am almost certain it was there.

No comments: