Thursday, November 13, 2008

'Quo Vadis' of the Blog

The post today will be kept very short and sweet at a point in time when I am chewing the cud on where exactly this blog is going. For the most part it is far too anecdotal to be taken seriously and if it isn't going to be taken seriously, what is the point of continuing? Alright, I know that there are a couple of people out there who are reading it religiously but they are friends, who might just be trying to discern what I am doing, nothing else!
It also has to be said that the more serious stuff, is very seldom serious enough and if anything, it is an indictment of me, practicing that wooly thinking that I criticise others for. Therefore, I am faced with three choices; a) stop writing the blog, b) try to continue with the minimum of one entry a day and get a bit more focused or c) get focused and serious and try to link my blog to others who are being focused and serious about what they are writing, while cutting down on the volume of writing.
Writing the blog has made me aware of a number of things concerning blogs. Firstly, there is a lot of excellent stuff out there and a lot of stuff that would render buying "the book" surplus to requirements. Moreover, the alternative media offered through blogs is mind-boggling and sometimes very very good; Jonathan Cook's blog, John Pilger's blog and many many more give a much better picture of what is happening in the world than the daily trite that we are exposed to. However, there is an awful lot of shite and, indeed, 90% of the blogs are drivel at best. My own blog, I think, falls somewhere in between and if nothing else, writing it, has at least made me aware of my own inadequacies.
Finally, regarding blogs generally, one has to say that they have given everyone the opportunity to write. Now, while, on the one hand, some people might want to draw a parallel with the Nietzschean point of view regarding democracy and see this as a massive explosion of mediocrity, it might, on the other hand, just be that the cream does rise to the top and, when all is said and done, in a world of embedded journalists, a world where people actually think that Obama means change, a world where the mediocrity of the media is already all prevading, the creme de la creme is indeed found in the good blogs and teh alternative media sites. Blogs have certainly given people like John Pilger, Norman Finkelstein, Rashid Khalidi and others an alternative media to express themselves and what does all of this mean for me? Well, I will be chewing the cud, pondering, ruminating and I am open to suggestions. In the meantime, this, another, anecdotal entry, will have to suffice for today.

No comments: