Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Dung Heap Theory of History

It has been mentioned in earlier posts, nevertheless, I would like to reiterate that when I was at university it was pointed out to me by a friend that a Historian's brain is like a dung heap in that the longer you leave it the more likely it is that something will grow. With the wisdom that hindsight affords me it is, therefore, probably no accident that I soon discovered a certain penchant for history and in no time at all I had developed into the waffler supreme. Nevertheless, in retrospect it also has to be said that in history's favour there has to be a little bit more and it was, therefore, that I found myself in agreement with Dr Finkelstein when he says that comparing and contrasting has always been an essential ingredient in the study of history. Indeed, I would go a step further than Dr Finkelstein does in the interview I have just watched and argue that by comparing and contrasting history teaches us valuable lessons. Whether those lessons will be followed or not is another matter. They are, however, there to be referenced.
That, therefore, brings me to the "uniqueness" of the holocaust, a "uniqueness" that is exploited by Israel and gives the Zionist state special moral dispensation when it comes to ethnically cleansing Palestine, when it comes to erecting an apartheid state, when it comes to murdering innocent men, women and children. For remember, Israel represents the "Jewish people" and the Jewish people have had suffering inflicted upon them that is beyond comparison by an evil that it is beyond comprehension. This is a people for whom those "normal" moral parameters that we are all expected to reference just do not apply, for they have been visited by an immorality that none of us can understand. The moral extortion takes shape and the drivel holds the high ground and the "dung heap theory" of history lends justification to the sting I talked about in yesterday's post.
Have a look at the Finkelstein interview, which has been posted.

No comments: