Thursday, December 24, 2009

Making an "ass" out of "u" and "me"

"You should never "assume," because when you "assume," you make an "ass" of "u" and "me." If I remember correctly I heard the line from Jack Lemmon who played the character Felix Unger in the film "the Odd Couple", which started its life as a broadway play back in 1965. Good advice, good advice, indeed! Nevertheless, I am going to do one more piece of assuming.

Assuming Tony Blair never jumped on the George Bush bandwagon, what would have happened? Well the assumptions stop there and the rest is speculation. However, maybe, perhaps, possibly and, yes, maybe even probably, the war would have been so blatantly illegal that it just wouldn't have happened. However, the speculation is turning into an assumption again and I really am beginning to make an "ass" of "u" and "me" and there is no need to do the politicians job for them, is there?

The fact is Blair did take Britain into an illegal war and the fact is that by doing so not only did he condemn many Iraqis and some British citizens to death, but that he also lent that war the "international credibility" that the warmongers in Washington needed. According to 'Just Foreign Policy' today, an estimated 1,366,350 Iraqis have died because of the very odd couple, Bush and Bair. Yes, this man belongs in front of the ICC.

No comments: