Thursday, January 21, 2010

Conmen

Still busy so I have decided to content myself with a rather amusing little story that has come out of China. The 'Guardian' reports that: 'Thirty Runners disqualified from Chinese marathon for cheating." The paper goes on: "Almost a third of the runners who finished in the top 100 have since been disqualified for cheating in the race in the southern port city of Xiamen." However, the funny bit comes when we are told how they cheated, and how did they cheat? Using vehicles and imposters we are told! Now, it has left me pondering, what should I do? Ask Haile Gebrselassie to run the marathon I will never run under my name or go for the Glasgow marathon and a couple of stations on the clockwork orang, followed by the number nine bus before jumping into my mate's car. Still, I will follow the advice implicit in Kurt Vonnegut's statement, "you are what you pretend to be, so be careful what you pretend to be" and, with my 80 plus kilos,  I would have a hard job convincing them even up in Glasgow that I had just run a 2 hour 6 minute marathon.

Of course, there are even bigger cons than the one mentioned above and that brings me to another little story in the 'Guardian' and Jack Staw is telling us all that he could have vetoed UK military action in Iraq. Now, I am not sure what Jack pretends to be, but, when I read Jack saying  "If I had refused (to support the war), the UK's participation in the military action would not, in practice, have been possible," I know what he is and he can pretend all he likes but it really is time to get Jack and his buddies behind bars.

No comments: